EU: New rules to establish a more competitive rail market
Submitted by Michael Wukoschitz on 16 June, 2011 - 15:20
EU transport ministers reached an agreemnet today on new rules setting out how competition on the rail market must work in practice by:
- ensuring fair access to rail infrastructure and rail-related services;
- strengthening the power of national regulators; and
- improving the framework for investment in rail.
The proposed directive aims to
- increase competition on the rail market through more transparent market access conditions and providing easier access;
- strengthen the power of national rail regulators so they can enforce the law; and
- develop a harmonised "financial architecture" to encourage investment.